Inquiry Question: What are the benefits of bringing mindfulness into the classroom/workplace/home?
1. Write a positive version of the poem 'Four O'Clock Friday' about a week in your life. (P)
2. Are "wellbeing" and "happiness" the same? Why/why not? How would this apply to a child in Australia and in Ethiopia?
3. Visit headspace.org.au. What does the organisation do and why is it important?
4. Identify common sources of stress in the categories of life event, home, future, school, friends and sport. What are some ways to alleviate these stresses? (S)
1. Find a new activity you could include in your daily routine to boost your mental wellbeing.
2. Make a list of 5 things you are good at (e.g. drawing, soccer, singing). (P)
3. Identify the happiest country in the world in 2022. What makes a country "happy"? Where is Australia in this list? Where is Ethiopia?
4. Complete a planning map, using SMART goals, for one small way you could change your world this year. (S)
1. Keep a daily diary for a week of what you eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner – how different do you think that would be for a child in Ethiopia? (P)
2. Aim to practise your soccer skills for 30 minutes each day for a week. How does it improve your wellbeing? ⚽
3. Plan to cook a traditional Ethiopian meal with your family. ⚽
4. Come up with an advertisement for a fruit or vegetable of your choice. How would you promote its benefits? (S)
KEY: ⚽ = Goal Package item! Register as a Socktober Star to choose a Package. | (P) = Primary activity | (S) = Secondary activity
"The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in Him, and I am helped; therefore my heart exults, and with my song I shall thank Him."
David rejoices in the Lord and sings praise to Him, because the Lord is the source of his power and protection. As a warrior (Psalm 144:1), David recognizes that the Lord enables him to be strong in the face of his enemy's oppression. A shield not only provides a warrior with physical protection—it also serves to boost the warrior's confidence. Experienced believers can often recall many occasions when the Lord strengthened and protected them. Each victory brings an opportunity to rejoice and be thankful. (BibleRef)
Catholic Social Teaching
1. Human Dignity - God made each person, so every life is important and should be protected.
2. Participation and Subsidiarity - God made us to be part of communities, families and countries, so all people can share and help each other. No one community should have dominance over another or interfere in their lives.
3. Preferential Option for the Poor - God wants us to help people who are poor, who don’t have enough food, a safe place to live, or a community of which to be a part.
4. Common Good - A true community is one where the common good is reached when we work together to befter the wellbeing of all people in our community and the wider world.
Additional Activities: primary
- I'm Calm - Jaymeen Sanders
- The Same But Different - Molly Potter
- My Magic Breath - Nick Ortner
...and be inspired!
- ‘Happy’ – Pharrell Williams
- ‘Can’t Stop the Feeling’ – Justin Timberlake
- ‘Dynamite’ - BTS
- Find out what is meant by “universal healthcare”? Is this really “universal”? How does Australia’s system compare with other countries, like Ethiopia, the United States?
- Research why goat's milk is more nutritious for infants than cow's milk. Have you tried goat's milk before?
- Create a virtual lunchbox filled with food that children in Ethiopia enjoy. What things do you also enjoy?
...and make an impact!
Additional Activities: Secondary
- Why Has Nobody Told Me This
Before? – Dr Julie Smith
- 'How teenagers can protect their mental health during COVID-19' – (UNICEF, 2020)
- Understanding food insecurity in Australia (AIFS, 2020)
...and be inspired!
- ‘Ethiopia Tigray Conflict & Famine Explained’, (Behind the News, 2021)
- ‘Understanding Your Feelings’ (Behind the News, 2015) (Years 7-8)
- ‘What Makes a Good Life? Lessons from the longest study on happiness’ (Robert Waldinger, TEDxBeaconStreet)
...and be moved!
- ‘Dynamite’ - BTS
- ‘The Middle’ – Jimmy Eat World
- ‘Thinking Nutrition’ (Podcast, Dr
- Count the number of meals you have in a day. Compare this to what may be the average daily consumption of food for most people in Ethiopia. How would a lack of frequent meals and nutritious foods affect your wellbeing?
- Compare this to the Scripture Link passage from Psalms. How does good nutrition shield us and improve our mental health?
- Consider how climate change might affect an individual's wellbeing. Create a mindmap.
- Research how Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities learn about their connection to land. How do they know what food to eat? How do they know what food to avoid? What is bush medicine? Identify three ways in which Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples use bush medicine for health reasons.